Friday, January 27, 2012

Thank You White House Advisors, Psoriasis Matters

36Smile! Day 27

Today, a group of policy experts and advisors to the President sat down for Office Hours, chatting on Twitter—discussing general health care topics. I was asked to participate in the chat as a National Psoriasis Foundation volunteer mentor and advocate. I was so honored and excited as I am extremely obsessed with Twitter and love the scope of people you can reach in matter of seconds with 140 characters or less.

I have been living with psoriasis for more than 10 years and am extremely involved with the NPF as a mentor. It's so important to bring awareness to a chronic disease like psoriasis which many people may not know about. So, believe you me, I was more than willing!

The chat began and I was ready with my Twitter questions.

I started off by saying I hope @BarackObama addresses importance of research for chronic disease like #psoriasis. #WHChat

and

I have #psoriasis. Thanks to the ACA, I don't have to worry about my pre-existing condition. #WHChat

and then the following happens:

. investments in research, no discrim for people w/ pre-ex conditions, make it easier for your drs to work together




I would like to know what’s the plan to improve access to affordable care for people w/ chronic disease like?

I actually got RT and responded to from the White House! I was beyond thrilled! It meant that I made a difference, what I was saying really does matter and that they are listening!

I also get a RT from the NPF


You got RTed & responded to by the White House! Way to go! You rock!

I know, surreal! The power of twitter to help bring awareness to chronic disease like . I love it!

Psoriasis is the most common autoimmune disease in the U.S. As many as 7.5 million Americans have psoriasis. It's time to make a difference for everyone living with psoriasis and it will take a lot of work, help and implementation from Congress. The ACA, Affordable Care Act was a great start, and I'm looking forward to the many advances in the near future.

Once that happens, those with psoriasis don't have to feel embarassed about the disease they have which isn't their fault. We will all have the confidence to lead healthy and balanced lives.


36Smile! is blog where Sabrina will be writing about and sharing memories that make her smile 365 days of the year! Too often, we are wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of this crazy little thing called life. We should take time out to enjoy the little things that make us smile and celebrate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment