Friday, January 27, 2012

Bilingual is The Way To Go

36Smile! Day 26

I was catching up on the Ellen Degeneres show where she had Mario Lopez on. They were talking about her little girl with fiance, Courtney Mazza and how they were teaching their daughter Spanish and English.

It brought me back to my childhood when my mom and dad—well, mainly my mom because she was the who could speak it—was teaching me, my brother and sister Spanish. It was by far the coolest thing they could've done. To this day we all three are bilingual in English and Spanish. My mom's side of the family is from Argentina so whenever we go over there or they come to visit, we are able to communicate with them in a way we would've never been able to do if we didn't grow up learning Spanish.

My mom always tells us stories of how we would be in the grocery store speaking Spanish to each other when someone would ask her, "what's wrong with your children?" And she would just laugh and say "Nothing, they're speaking Spanish." Back then it wasn't as prevalent to have children our age speaking Spanish as well as we were. It always cracks me up when she tells us stories like that.

I am so grateful that they taught us when they did. It has helped in school, talking to new people I've just met, speaking with clients at my old job, giving me a leg up on getting a job, talking to my friends who speak Spanish, talking to my sister when we don't want our significant others to hear what we are talking about and most importantly speaking with my Argentine family.

I can't wait till Chris and I have start having kids and teach them Spanish. Granted, they will be going to my parents house at least once a week for their Spanish lesson with their grandma :)

36Smile! is blog where Sabrina will be writing about and sharing memories that make her smile 365 days of the year! Too often, we are wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of this crazy little thing called life. We should take time out to enjoy the little things that make us smile and celebrate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment