Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Personal Brand

As a Health Activist, you are a front-facing leader. What do you imagine you look like to your readers? What qualities do you possess. It’s OK to toot your own horn today – you have full permission to indulge. And don’t hold back.

I would like to think that everything I do exudes confidence and strength. I definitely wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the confidence I have and the strength I possess.

You can't really reach your highest point if you haven't been through the lows. When I was first diagnosed with psoriasis, I was so embarrassed and I didn't want to talk about it to anyone, not even my family or closest friends. It was after undergoing numerous medications and medical trials; learning about psoriasis; and wanting to feel empowered with an incurable disease that I found confidence when I didn't think it was possible.

It was then that I found the National Psoriasis Foundation and went through training to become a volunteer mentor. I have gained strength, empowerment, confidence, leadership skills and so much more. Those are the attributes I would like to think my readers, followers, etc see in me.

I feel I also have a great ear and am not judgemental. I have been in that place before and have been judged by everyone. Let me tell you, it's not the greatest feeling. I want to be able to empower as many people as I can. With my experience, knowledge, confidence, and enthusiasm I hope I can.

On another note: just today I received a call from Olga Tutlle, who is the Outreach Coordinator and in charge of the mentors at the NPF. She invited me to go to the "Assuring Patient Protections in Health Care Reform- An Education Summit" here at the Seattle Asian Art Museum. A representative from the NPF will be there speaking and she asked if I would like to go along. Of course, I said yes. Maybe I am doing something right to help those around me and show I have the leadership skills to be invited to a great, information event like this. I am really excited to hear about the upcoming changes in health care reform, and how as a patient and health activist, I am able to help.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sabrina, Love your post and Congratulations on being invited to the event. Sounds like you will be a great mentor and advocate/activist for others who are struggling with what you have been through.
    Kudos!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete