Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hanging Onto Hope

Project 36Smile!

Tuesday found me going to my weekly dermatology appointment for my psoriasis treatment. 

About a month ago, I started a new Pharos Light Therapy treatment for my scalp psoriasis. It is going on 10 + years with my battle with this incurable disease. You can read about my struggle here

The dermatologist at the Dermatology Associates here in Seattle are amazing! I honestly had a lost a some hope in finding a treatment that would work to at least manage my psoriasis. After he saw me, he diagnosed it as severe on my scalp and started on the Pharos light therapy. 

A little background on light therapy treatment:
Present in natural sunlight, UVB is an effective treatment for psoriasis. UVB penetrates the skin and slows the growth of affected skin cells. Treatment involves exposing the skin to an artificial UVB light source for a set length of time on a regular schedule. 

Gradually, I had started to see improvement. But it wasn't until I was on a date with my husband and wore my favorite black blazer that I actually saw the proof. I wasn't flaking—at all! And of course the itchiness has subsided. This is such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, literally. I actually smile now when I reach for a piece of black clothing, instead of shying away from it. 

Only those with psoriasis will truly understand the day-to-day struggles I have gone through and continue to go through. Finding relief in the littlest things have the hugest impact on the quality of life someone living with psoriasis can experience. I never lose hope either. It's OK to have your bad days. No one is perfect. But understanding the disease is a big part of coming to terms with it as well. That's what I tell my NPF mentees. Knowledge and hope are two things that making living with this disease, just a little easier. 

Like I said, there is no cure for psoriasis. For now, I am excited that I have found a treatment that has basically sent my psoriasis into remission. 

Here's to hoping it lasts and hoping it just kind of goes away like it did with my mother. *Crossing my fingers!*


36Smile! is blog where Sabrina will be writing about, sharing memories, anecdotes and much more that make her smile 365 days of this year! Too often, we are wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of this crazy little thing called life. We should take time out to enjoy the little things that make us smile and celebrate it! The "S" in 36Smile resembles the "5" in 365 days a year. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy with your progress! And I know one day it will be gone forever.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete