Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Who Knew What Cinco De Mayo Had In Store For Me

Project 36Smile!

For some—or for many—Cinco De Mayo may just be another excuse to drink heavily for no reason; has been called the Mexican St. Patrick's Day and much more. But for me, it holds a special place in my heart as that is the first time Chris and I officially "hung out" outside of work. I guess you could call it a date, even though both of our friends were there. It was more of a super cas hang out. But I did have butterflies in my stomach the whole day.

Flash back to 2007, Chris and I were working together at ENVY. It was a Friday so everyone was in a good mood, of course. Chris was about to leave, and he asked if I had any plans for Cinco De Mayo. I kind of laughed to myself and said something sarcastic like "does anyone ever make plans for Cinco De Mayo?" He ended inviting me to hang out with his friends if "I wasn't doing anything." Which in boy talk means, they would love to see you but are too "manly" to say so.

He said, "Well you should give me a call if you change your mind." Mind you, we hadn't exchanged numbers yet. Here comes my sarcastic side again "How am I supposed to call you if I don't have your number?" Still to this day I remember him laughing and that million dollar smile that got me. He ended up writing his number on a piece of paper for me and I did the same thing.

Cinco De Mayo came, and I was stuck in the library studying for an upcoming final. We end up texting the ENTIRE day. He finally convinced me to meet him and his friends (Joel) out later that day. I bring my sorority sister, Nikki Trejo with me. FYI, Nikki and Joel were in our wedding party three years later :) This was the only photo taken that night. But I love the fact that we have this and can look back on it!



We met them at Onion Creek and end up talking to each other the entire time, drinking cervezas, chowing on queso and watching the Rockets play.

A little side note, a few months into our dating, his friend Joel decides to put me through a little test. I had no idea what he was doing until Chris tells me years later. Joel decided to hit on me one night when we were all hanging out. He was VERY persistent. Of course, I didn't take his bait, at all. Much to his surprise. Sorry, Joel-io, I was a keeper!

The rest is history.

Every Cinco De Mayo now, we end up going to a Mexican place and reliving that very first time together. It's fun, and not to mention, healthy to relive special anniversaries and occasions like that, even though some of your friends may think its corny.

But your brain is wired to remember and lock in those memories. Recreating those memories has the same effect that eating dark chocolate or falling in love does, which makes your brain happy. Chocolate which contains phenylethylamine(PEA), the same chemical your brain releases when recreating those special memories or falling in love. PEA signals your brain to release these happy endorphins.Thinking about surprising your significant other with a special event? Baking their favorite childhood sweet treat? There's your excuse! Now get to it.

I am beyond blessed with Chris and everything we have experienced in life together. Meeting at Envy, living in Houston, traveling and living on Maui, experiencing many firsts together to now experiencing what Seattle has in store for us.

Thank you Cinco De Mayo for being more than just another reason to get drunk.

36Smile! is blog where Sabrina will be writing about and sharing memories that make her smile 365 days of this year! Too often, we are wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of this crazy little thing called life. We should take time out to enjoy the little things that make us smile and celebrate it! The "S" in 36Smile resembles the "5" in 365 days a year. 


1 comment:

  1. I love reading about you and Chris "hanging out" for the first time. I'm so glad you chose him to be your husband! He "fits" with our family perfectly... And he gives the best hugs! Love you both.

    ReplyDelete