Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sandwiches don't have to be boring!

http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/slideshow/deli-counter-survival-guide#title

Chris and I try to save money any way we can, especially with our wedding coming up. So we bring our lunch to work everyday, I'm not kidding. We may go out for a nice lunch every now and then, but this way we save money and get to spend time with each other and not feel bad about spending money "we don't have."

Even though we may get tired of sandwiches sometimes, they are so great for you! We eat it on whole wheat bread (though, after reading this I am going to be trying my sandwiches on a whole wheat English muffin). I actually used to eat a lot of ham, but after knowing how much more sodium ham has then turkey, we have switched to turkey. Chris always liked turkey better, so that was an easy transition for him.

Now, the biggest thing for him was getting him to stop using Mayo (don't even get me started on how caloric and sodium filled this is) all together and start dressing up our sandwiches with mustard. Let me tell you, this was such an easy thing to do! One, I have never like mayo and two, mustard just tastes that much better and IS so much better for you! "A scoop on your next ham sandwich will bolster your meal with selenium, magnesium, tryptophan, and omega-3 fatty acids—a group of nutrients that help your brain, muscles, and nerves function properly." Who doesn't want that?

Then comes the vegetation. I L-O-V-E lettuce and tomatoes. Tomatoes have to be one of my favorite veggies. Tomatoes "lauded antioxidant (called lycopene) that fights off cancers, improves cholesterol, and protects your skin from the UV rays." So good for you! As for the lettuce, this is my rule: anything green is super lean and excellent for your body. Especially avocados - my absolute favorite. Yea, they may be a pain in the butt to cut sometimes, but they are so good for you. You may also have heard that 'cados are loaded with fat. Yes, but it's the healthy fat that your body needs. Plus, foods you can have fun with and are good for you? Yes, please!

For the accents. I am such a HUGE cheese (and sweet) person! I was used to eating Cheddar and American - two of the worse cheeses for you. They're processed (which is super bad for you) and contain more than a third of your day’s saturated fat in a serving. No, thank you! Now, we eat Swiss or Pepper Jack. If you're getting Swiss, get the ones with the bigger holes "because bacteria in the cheese release carbon dioxide during the aging process, and the bigger holes signify conditions more favorable to flavorful cheese." Chris also introduced me to Pepper Jack. He loves spicy foods. Ever since we met, my taste buds I think are thanking him, because I CRAVE spicy foods. I feel even better eating it when I know how good it is for you. "Along with the typical protein and calcium push of pepper jack cheese comes a dose of fiery hot capsaicins, the pepper’s health-promoting phytochemicals that boost metabolism and lower bad cholesterol." If you normally don't like sandwiches because you think they're boring, trust me, Pepper Jack is FAR from boring and your 'buds will thank you just like they have done for me.

That's my opinion on one of the healthiest foods you can eat. I thought I would be the one to teach Chris things about eating healthier, little did I know he can teach me a few things too :)

Hopes this helps and....

HEALTHY EATING!

No comments:

Post a Comment