Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Just Don't Do It.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100412/hl_time/08599198101900

There is nothing, or anyone in this world who can convince me that spanking is a good thing. Read this article. Finally, there is hard evidence that shows spanking leads to detrimental effects later on in life. No, it doesn't instill a "healthy fear," or "they stop as soon as I warn them." Ok, wonderful, but what does that teach them? Do they know what they did is wrong? No. They probably already forgot what they did that made you mad in the first place.

Children need to be taught the reasons why they got in trouble, what they did to up get you and what they can do to fix it. Timeout is such a great thing for children. Just like the study suggest, it gives them timMy suggestion (and also Supernanny's) It should last one minute for how old they are. Your child is five, then they're in timeout for five minutes and so on. This doesn't just apply to parents, it applies to babysitters and nannies.

Yes, things are going to be hard at first. If you need help, watch Supernanny. I am telling you, parents, parents-to-be, babysitters this show will open your eyes to super easy changes to make, that will give you long-lasting results. Sound familiar? I am all about quick fixes with long-lasting results, especially me and my fiance's lifestyle.

People think changes like this (eating better, their problem child, even an unruly dog) can't be fix, taught or changed. I am here to tell you that it all is completely fixable. I have seen results with easy changes to our eating lifestyle, parenting tips while I'm babysitting (no kids here yet!) and even teaching my two-year-old Yorkie new tricks and better behavior.

Back to the article. Just don't spank your children. It may make you feel better because your child stopped crying or doing the bad behavior, but it doesn't help them in the long run. Results from the study: spanking leads to more aggressive behavior later in life, it also makes discipline for a child even harder when they have outgrown spanking and it teaches them to do it to their kids. No, I wasn't spanked and I turned out just fine :)

Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment