Monday, April 26, 2010

Take Time to Listen Today

This Sunday, we went to church like we do every Sunday (well me every Sunday, Chris not every Sunday, but I'm happy when he does go). It was a great mass. I love feeling the way I feel when I'm in church and when I leave. Besides praying and thanking God everyday, I feel especially close to Him when I'm at church.

Besides feeling joy that I was in church on a gorgeous Sunday, with the love of my life, the homily was great once again. I love when the Father relates his homily to everyday life. Today he based his homily on this verse "My Sheep hear my Voice" (John 10:27) He said that sheep are raised to hear their owners distinctive voice and answer only to them, not to anyone else. Though they aren't that smart of animals, they will only respond to their owners voice. Sheep's listen, that's what they do. The Father then asked "When was the last time you really listened to someone?"

We are inundated with words, words, words everyday from our Blackberry emails and texts, to jobs, clients and complaints to our family and significant others. But when do we actually listen? A relationship, friendship is not only based on trust and communication but we have to be willing to listen to each other. Think of the last argument or "discussion" (that's what I always call them... haha!) and I bet both of you were talking over each other, not letting the other person finish their sentence. Therefore when this happens, we aren't actually listening to what the other person is saying. We are too wrapped up in what we want to say and the point we want to make that we aren't listening to the other person. Once I realized this, it changed the way I discuss things with Chris or just communicated in general. We rarely argue or get into fights about anything. We always communicate what we want to say and we listen to each other. It feels great to be in a strong, mature and healthy relationship like this and I thank God everyday for putting him in my life.

The Father said "This world isn't quiet enough to hear God's word." And it's true. If we stop and listen for just a second, I think things and this world would be just a little different. And yes, YOU can make a difference.

When was the last time you listened?

No comments:

Post a Comment