Sunday, June 20, 2010

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

Today I am wishing all the fathers, grandfathers, great grandfathers, uncles and soon-to-be fathers a very HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!! But especially my father, the best dad in the world, Bill Dreyer!!

It was weird going to Church today and not be with my dad. All the dad's received blessings. But I did talk to my dad before I went into Church so that counts for something :)

Today the Father's homily was very inspirational. "Are you in it for you or are you in it for others?" Such a great question to ponder, especially on this day. Are you in this world for yourself - are you selfish and self centered? Or are you in this world for others - do you think about others and want to live your life to better others? It's not hard to know where I belong. That is definitely in the second category. And I owe that to my father (and mother!).

My father is one of the most unselfish man I know. He lives his life making sure me, Marina, Nick and our mom are all taken care of. Overcoming prostate cancer, triple by-pass surgery and hormone shots right now, he is the epitome of the strongest man and wonderful father. He lives his life for others. That's how I am living my life. Not for me, but for my wonderful family, friends and Christopher. To live your life this way is to be helpful, not hurtful. That's how God lived his life. He lived it for us.

Thinking of another aspect of my life coming up: my future nuptials. Most marriages end in divorce because one or the other is living for themselves, and not for their significant others. That is not how I want to live my marriage and I am going to work my butt of to have the kind of marriage my parents have. They are living for each other first and then for their kids. Same with Chris' parents. They are still married and are living for themselves and the kids. It is truly why a happy, healthy marriage is important to Chris and I. We have these amazing examples that a strong, happy, health marriage is possible.

Three 1/2 months from now, Chris and I will begin our journey as husband and wife. Living our lives for each other and not for ourselves.

On this special Father's Day, take time out to show love for the father figure in your life. Let him know how much he shapes you, the way you live your life and how much you love him. I know I already have and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

I love you Bill Dreyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment