Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fall Means Winter Coats and Show Premieres!

Summer is officially over and fall is upon us. For those of us not living in Texas, that means it's time to break out the scarves, boots, sweaters, peacoats and jackets.

It also means the startup of some of our fav shows and some new gems! Today, we are going to be visiting each show that I watched, how much I liked it and whether or not I think it's going to last. I will also throw in some of my husbands opinions to get a male perspective too. And before you even say it, yes, we watch a lot of TV, but we're OK with that. Admitting it is the first step :)

Here goes:

DWTS: to me it was kind of lack-luster. The only performances that really stood out was Chyna Phillps (who is she again?) and Hope Solo. No one else really did it for me. My husband doesn't watch the show, surprise. Not to mention- spoiler alert for those who haven't watched their TIVO episodes - I am SO glad Ron 'Magic Peace Maker' Artest or whatever is name is, got eliminated! He is a Grade A Asshole! I am rooting for Rob Kardashian (I know, hush!), that girl from The Hills(not significant enough for a name) and Chaz Bono. WILL IT LAST? It's been on for like 13 seasons, so the answer is DUH!

Two Broke Girls: Hilarious! If you don't know the premise- well if you read the title- you know the premise. It's about Two Broke Girls living together and working at a diner. One is your regular, two-job working, middle class girl. The other is a Manhattan Socialite, whose life got ruined because her rich dad took everyones money (sound familiar?). They balance each other out with Ket Dennings sarcastic wit and Beth Behrs(socialite) naive, there is good in all people outlook. And it was created by Whitney Cummings(stand up comic with her own show premiering tonight, check her out!)It even got my husband LOL sometimes, so that's a plus. WILL IT LAST: Hope so and yes.

Glee: I have to say that I am a huge Gleek, but I was not blown away by the first episode of the season. Anyone else? I get that they are disappointed because they didn't win Nationals but does that really mean that Quinn had to go turn "goth" I truly doubt that is who she truly is; they still get "Slushied"; Sue wants to have the Art's funding taken away.... just a lot of things I was like "huh?" The one thing I did like was Blaine coming to McKinley and their big number! WILL IT LAST: With the seniors graduating, the producer said yes it will but of course they are bringing in new faces. Step it up in the next episode!

The Biggest Loser: I love this show and continue to watch it. As a certified nutritionist I like that overweight and morbidly obese people are taking responsibility for their actions and are wanting to do something about it. Granted, not everyone has 8 weeks and the time to take off work, but this show inspires so many other people to get up and do something about their weight that we don't hear about it. My husband watches it every now and then and likes it as well. This season it is a "battle of the ages" a group of five people 30 and under; a group of five people mid 40 and 50's; and the last group of five 60 and over with brand new trainer Anna Kornikorva. It's definitely a breath of fresh air with the two new trainers and the battle of the ages. FYI Bob Harper is still on but Jillian Michaels is now on The Doctors! WILL IT LAST: Just like DWTS it's in it 9 season and I don't see it quitting anytime soon!

The New Girl: Stars Zoey Dechanel who recently endures a bad break up (BF sleeps with someone else) and looks for a new apartment. She finds one with three other guys. What's exciting? The chemistry with the three boys and Zoey is undeniable. Not to mention the references to Dirty Dancing - what girl hasn't gone through a break up and not watched Dirty Dancing?! Zoey is LOL funny and the boys are great. My husband was actually laughing too and enjoyed this one. WILL IT LAST: Yes, please!

Up All Night: Just like with Two Broke Girls, its about two parents who just had a newborn who, you guessed it, stay up all night. Christina Applegate is the working mom and she brings a breath of fresh air, zaniness and her comedic timing to the line up and has a romantic and on screen chemistry with Will Arnett. Just like my last post about women in power, I like these new comedies about working moms loving what they do. WILL IT LAST: I would like to see it last, but I don't give it long.

Survivor: I have been an avid fan of the show and for anyone else who has seen it, this season is pretty much the same. Except this time, like the last season they have Redemption Island where the new cast-offs have a chance to earn their way back into the game. The season looks pretty good, as two All-Stars have come back (Coach and Ozzy) and also Russell Hantz who was pretty much the most hated Survivor player EVER, his nephew is playing. It's looking like its probably going to be a season for the books. WILL IT LAST: duh!

The Playbloy Club: Eddie Ciberan is pretty much the only big name in this 50's set drama. Many have been comparing it to Mad Men. Cibrean said it best on a interview with GMA when asked about the comparison "It's only being compared to Mad Med because that's the only other show on TV right now set in that time period." Which is true. They aren't even about the same shows. I think the show was OK. But OK isn't what you want for the premiere. A lot of things happened in just the first episode, so it will be interesting to see how it folds. Besides the pretty looking girls and lots of cleavage, my husband thought it was just OK as well. WILL IT LAST: hard to say, but I'm gonna say no. But I can look at Eddie all night long.

Revenge: I wasn't too sure about this when I first saw the trailers. But everyone wants Revenge on something or someone, sometime in their life. Premise: a girl is seeking revenge for her father who was wrongly framed and put to death by someone else dubbed the "Hamptons Queen Elizabeth" The girl buys a house in the Hamptons, takes on a whole new identity to hopefully find redemption for her dad. It drew me and my husband in. I would like to see how it all plays out. No big names in this one. WILL IT LAST: Maybe for one season.

Two and a half Men: The much-hyped, long awaited premiere was..... not too exciting. We saw Allen(John Cryer) mourn Charlie Sheen's character while several of Charlie's "conquest" bad mouthed him at his funeral. Then Ashton's character is introduced as a depressed, billionaire who seeks refuge to Allen house to phone his girlfriend telling her he almost committed suicide. Allen and Ashton "bond" over drinks, they come back to the house and Ashton apparently has a threesome with the two girls (much like Charlies character). Right now, nothing stands out about it, nothing too hilarious. And the son was still as stupid as ever. WILL IT LAST: of course, but I'm hoping for better next time.

How I Met Your Mother: they claim this as a new-age Friends. Being the Friends fanatic as I am, I have to disagree. But HIMYM is still hilarious with a great group dynamic. It's hard to explain if you haven't watch the show. For the die-hards, the premiere was pretty good! Spoiler alert: Marshall and Lilly are now expecting a baby and I think this season they are going to try to have Barney be - wait for it - monogamous! My husband and I LOVE to watch this show together. It has something for the girls and guys, so start getting hooked if you haven't already. WILL IT LAST: yes!

There you have it. I am excited about the new, fresh comedies out there this season. Thursday brings a whole new season of premieres with Big Bang, Office, Whitney (can't wait!), Community, Parks and Rec and 30 Rock. More on those next week. Would love to hear your opinions about the shows you caught and which ones you're looking forward too.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment