Friday, October 29, 2010

Life Isn't as Serious as Our Mind Makes it Out To Be


I am reading a great new book right now called "A New Earth, Awakening to Your Life's Purpose" by the talented Eckhart Tolle.

Honestly, it was really hard to get into at first. He dives right into talking about the message behind the book, how to get the best use out of the book, etc. I'm not a big fan when authors do that- just let me get to the point myself.

It is when he starts writing about Ego: The Current State of Humanity in which I can't put the book down. I will be highlighting certain parts and quotations that speak to me as I read the book. I will put my opinion on some but there others that are strong enough to stand on it's own. I do this for my sake but also because when I find a new book that I enjoy reading, I want others to know about it. If It speaks to me, then it may speak to others.

"Every ego confuses opinions and viewpoints with facts, it cant tell the difference between an event and it's reaction to that event. Only through awareness-not through thinking- can you differentiate between fact and opinion. Only through awareness are you able to see."

"Whatever you fight, you strengthen, and whatever you resist, persists." This one is my favorite and speaks to me the most.

"life isn't as serious as our mind makes it out to be"

"Thinking is only a tiny aspect of the consciousness that we are."

"Words, no matter whether they are vocalized and made into sounds or remain unspoken as thoughts, can cast an almost hypnotic spell on you... You easily lose yourself in them, become hypnotized into implicitly believing that when you have attached a word to something, you know that it is." This rang true to me because of the emphasis we all put on words. Especially now with the hot button issue of bullying. On a daily average 160,000 children miss school because they fear they will be bullied if they attend classes.On a monthly average 282,000 students are physically attacked by a bully each month. Since Social
Networking has taken over, bullying has become something else.

I don't know what gives kids the right to say cruel things to others. It has a lot to do with parents. So if you are one, don't gossip first of all and don't do it in front of your kids. They learn it from some where and you have to be the ones to teach our kids what's right.

This is what happens when I find a great read. I love just re-writing the words - I get more out of it and hopefully it speaks to others as well.

Please feel free to comment when you find a great read or a quote or anything you find that speaks to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment