Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Snacks You Wont Regret: courtesy of Cosmo

Yes, I am a monthly subscriber to Cosmo. Say what you want about it, that's it's just for girls in high school etc, but it has great articles every month pertaining to all aspects of life for women of all ages: money saving tips, exercises of the month, relationship advice and so much more.

The article that stuck out to me this month was about snacks. If you know me, I'm an avid snacker, to a point where Chris calls me a piggy because I'm usually eating every 3-4 hours which is what your body needs.

"Certain super foods will keep you feeling fuller and also rev up your metabolism," who doesn't want that? "so you'll eat fewer calories without even having to thinking about it.

1) Spicy peanuts: snack on an ounce of dry-roasted peanuts around, 28 pieces, for about 160 calories.

2) Sugar-free pudding: This stuff is one of the best ways to get your chocolate (or vanilla) fix. Thicker liquids, like pudding, satiate the brain's appetite center more than, say, hot chocolate, helping you consume few calories. And no it doesn't taste that much different than its sugar-laden counterparts. What I always say is if you're in a healthy mind frame then your taste buds are not going to mind eating what's better for you. Honestly, after about a week of eating the good stuff, you wont even be craving the bad stuff!

3) DIY Ranch dip with carrot and celery sticks: Mix 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon ranch seasoning for a yummy veggie dip. Low-fat yogurt contains conjugated lineolic acid which blocks fat uptake and also helps your body burn flab more efficiently. This one was a big one for me, because I am a huge fan of ranch dressing. After reading, how bad and caloric ranch is for you I changed to low-fat dressing even some vinaigrette and it's way better! It's a challenge to find low-fat plan yogurt here (on Maui) so I'm still on the search!

4) Watermelon: all melons, but particularly watermelons, have a high-water content which means they take up more space in your stomach, making you feel fuller. You can eat one up of diced melon for less than 50 calories. And they are so much fun to eat!

5) Frozen banana slices: freeze bananas and the test changes- they're like little slices of ice cream, minus the calories and fat. Make your own "flavors" by sprinkling on cocoa or cinnamon. "A sweet bonus: Cinnamon helps regulate sugar levels, so your body may store less fat." I LOVED this one when I read it. I'm a big sweet person, so I am definitely trying this one tonight.

6) Tuna salad: a fish like tuna is a smart snack, since it takes more energy to digest protein than it does to break down fats and carbs. IMPORTANT: skip the mayo and mix in 3 tablespoons of light Italian salad dressing instead- you'll get lots of flavor for fewer calories and less fat.

There it is friends, my bible of snacks I will be living by.

ENJOY AND HEALTHY EATING

2 comments:

  1. Brina,

    Great article! I use low fat plain yogurt for everything; it is my substitute for mayo. I use it in my tuna and chicken salad. The best one's for you are Greek brands. So I am not that familar with the Island, but if you have a Greek store or import food isle or something you might find it there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete